1. Read prayerfully. Trust the assertion of the church that the scriptures contain everything we need to know for our salvation. Ask God to speak to you as you open yourself up to God's word.
2. Take it slowly. Read just a sentence or two at a time. Let the ideas sink in. Try to imagine the action before you, like a movie. It is best to read, and re-read, and then read it again.
3. If the passage seems familiar you may be tempted to think "Oh, I know this and I know what it means." Try to read it again with fresh eyes, holding your preconceived notions of meaning to one side. What do the words actually say? What do they not say? What is going on in the sections just before and just after what you have read.
4. Sometimes a word or a phrase will jump out at you. Maybe you really like it, or it really bothers you. Pay attention to those. Sit before God in prayer with such words and ideas. Ask God what message you are being given just now about this word or phrase.
5. You might find it helpful to keep a journal - jot down your discoveries, your questions, what you think you hear God saying to you through the scriptures.